Recipes: Lamb and Spinach Gözleme
The Aussie Over 50s Guide to Healthy Recipes!
Lamb and Spinach Gözleme !
Gözleme is a traditional savoury Turkish flatbread with pastry dish, usually made of hand-rolled leaves of Yufka Dough. (Yufka is a thin flatbread more hearty than phyllo but more delicate than flour tortillas)
The name 'Gözleme' derives from the Turkish word göz, meaning "compartment", in reference to the pocket of dough in which the various toppings are sealed and cooked. The dough is lightly brushed with butter and eggs, then filled with various toppings, sealed, and cooked over a griddle.
Toppings for gözleme are numerous and vary by region and personal preference, and include a variety of meats (minced beef, chopped lamb, fresh or smoked seafood, sucuk, pastirma), vegetables (spinach, zucchini, eggplant, leek, chard, various peppers, onion, scallion, shallot, garlic), mushrooms (porcino, chanterelle, truffle), tubers (potatoes, yams, radish), cheeses (feta, Turkish white cheese, lavas, lor, çökelek, kasar, kaskaval), as well as eggs, and seasonal herbs and spices.
Originally a breakfast item or light homemade snack, the comfort food nature of gözleme has allowed it to achieve fast-food status in Turkey in the latter part of the twentieth century, with both simple and gourmet preparations ranging from the traditional (e.g. minced beef, "kiymali"; spinach and feta, "ispanakli"; potato and onion, "patatesli"; etc.) to the contemporary (e.g. chocolate and orange zest; walnut and banana with honey; smoked salmon and lemon; etc.) proliferating across the country's restaurants, cafes, and food carts.
Lamb and Spinach Gözleme
MAKES - for six people
PREPERATION – around 25 minutes
COOKING – 60 minutes
4 cups of plain flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1 ˝ cups of warm water
6 or more lemon wedges to serve
1 teaspoon of oil
1 white onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 tablespoon of cumin
1 tablespoon of sumac
1 or 2 teaspoons of chili flakes 0optional)
500 grams of lamb mince
200 grams of feta crumbed
150 grams of baby spinach leaves roughly chopped
1. Sift flour and salt together in a large bowl. Make a WELL in the centre and gradually stir in water, mixing to form a firm dough.
2. Move the dough from the bowl and knead it on a floured surface for about 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Return to the bowl and cover with a clean towel.
3. FILLING:- Heat oil in a large frying pan on HIGH. Sauté onions and garlic for 3 – 4 minutes or until tender then ad in the cumin, sumac and chilli and cook for I minute. Ad mince and cook for a further 4 to 5 minutes breaking up the lumps with the back of a spoon until browned. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and cook for a further 10 minutes stir feta cheese and spinach through. Season to taste.
4. Remove the dough from covered bowl, divide into 6 portions. Roll each piece into 30 x 40 rectangle. Transfer the rectangles into a greasy. Spoon filling evenly over one half of each rectangle. Fold over dough to enclose, then fold over the edges to seal.
5. Heat a large frying pan on medium. Brush Gözleme with oil and cook for 3 to 4 minutes each side until brown and crisp. Repeat with remaining Gozleme cut into squares and serve with lemon wedges.
About Over 50s Health Pages
Please Note: No medical information is published on this website and articles show are not intended as a substitute for informed medical advice and the reader is advised not to take any action before consulting with a health care professional.
Disclaimer: Most of the photos used on AML websites are from our own photographers and paid purchases. Some are obtained from to the best of our ability known to be FREE materials websites. For any complaints about this site or its contents please contact: email@example.com
Thank you for visiting About Over 50 - enjoy browsing.
SUBSCRIBE AND SHARE
The About Over 50 Guide is an Australia My Land Business Initiative
© Australia My Land Pty Ltd 2007 - 2017 website by aml websites online